Dobigny G, Tatard C, Gauthier P, Ba K, Duplantier J-M, et al. (2013) Mitochondrial and Nuclear Genes-Based Phylogeography of Arvicanthis niloticus (Murinae) and Sub-Saharan Open Habitats Pleistocene History. PLoS ONE 8(11): e77815.
Abstract of the abstract
- East Africa origin concomitantly with expanding grasslands some 2 Ma
- 4 parapatric lineages differentiated following Pleistocene bioclimatic cycles
- Allopatric genetic divergence within savannah refuges during humid episodes
- Dispersal during arid ones
- Secondary contact zones around geographic barrier (Niger River and Lake Chad basins)